This is a versatile recipe because you can exchange chicken, pork, beef or additional vegetables in place of the shrimp. Use leftover rice that has sat covered in the refrigerator for 3 days. It makes up some of the best fried rice you have ever tasted. Now and then the person on cook duty for friends, family or roommates draws a blank about what to prepare for dinner. Instead of opening cans of prepared food, dazzle them with a delicious homemade meal like this stir-fried rice with shrimp and veggies.
You will need:
- small cutting board
- vegetable peeler
- small sharp knife
- large bowl to mix rice
- small bowl to mix stir-fry sauce
- large wok or skillet
- 2 cooking spoons
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 2 garlic cloves
- one large egg
- 3 green onions with stems
- 2 cups of cleaned small shrimp (or pork, chicken, beef or additional vegetables)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- Mix the soy sauce, sugar, lime juice and chili powder or cayenne in the small bowl. Set aside.
- Take the cooked rice from the refrigerator and put 4 cups of it into the large bowl. Take one tablespoon of oil and drizzle it over the rice.Use your fingers to break up any lumps and work the oil through the rice. Set aside.
Prepare the vegetables:
- Peel the carrot and cut it into thin round slices.
- Remove the papery peel on the garlic cloves. Chop the garlic into small pieces.
- Rinse the onions. Cut off the root and any damaged tops. Slice into small pieces.
Make the stir-fry:
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil into the wok or skillet. Heat the pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry about a minute.
- Add the shrimp, stir-frying for 3 minutes.
- Move the shrimp and garlic to the side and break the egg in the clear area. Scramble it by stirring quickly.
- Add the rice, carrots, peas and stir-fry sauce. Use both cooking spoons to quickly lift the ingredients for 2 minutes of stir-frying.
- Add the green onions and stir-fry an additional minute.
- Tame an overly-salty serving with a couple of drops of fresh lime juice.